Employment In Port Townsend
The biggest public corporation in Port Townsend is Jefferson Healthcare, but many private sector employees work at the Port Townsend Paper Mill. Other notable industries that make up the Port Townsend economy are manufacturing, tourist destinations and activities, and waterfront trades like fishing and boat-building.
Finding Work in Port Townsend
Port Townsend is a smaller community, so hooking up with the local Chamber of Commerce is always a good idea. The Paper Mill is the largest employer, but the majority of businesses are small and are heavily involved in community events. Going to local events, meetings and festivals can be a great way to meet people. You can develop relationships with local business owners and then will be able to find out who is in need of new employees.
Researching Employment Options in Port Townsend
That being said, you still have to get out there and find the work when it presents itself. There are a few mainstay organizations that you’ll want to keep track of when looking for jobs.
One of the best ways to do research on places to work in Port Townsend is to take a look at the following 5 websites.
Recommended Research Websites:
- Indeed – If you’re looking for open positions in the area Indeed.com is my best suggestion for seeing the best current offers in the Gig Harbor job market. My recommendation is to post your resume immediately and then check in every week or so to see if there are new listings. Posting your resume allows employers to find you via Indeed’s formidable matching algorithms.
- Yelp – Yelp is a great way to sort by business type and to see customer reviews of these establishments. You do have to take some of these reviews with a grain of salt, but they can give you a general sense of what clients think of these businesses.
- Glassdoor – Glassdoor gives you an inside look at previous employee’s experiences, salary estimates, open positions and more. Again, take employee reviews with a grain of salt (if you’ve ever been fired, you know what the urge to rant and rail against your previous employer feels like). Glassdoor is one of my top recommendations for employment research.
- LinkedIn – This social network has been around for a while now and it can be a great way to do research on a business or to connect with current employees. Using their Advanced Search feature can be a great way to narrow down results to just the pertinent businesses that make sense for your situation.
- Craigslist – This website has lost some credibility in the last few years, but it can still be a remarkably good place to find employment, especially in service-based industries. You’ll have to wade through a bit more clutter while sorting through positions, but it still has a large user base of employers and is worth giving a try if the other sites come up empty.
Businesses in Port Townsend
Below is a list of links to a few popular places of employment in Port Townsend. This is not an exhaustive list, but might give you a place to start looking.