SIGNING EVENT: Mercury Stardust —’Safe and Sound’
- December 4
11:00 am - 1:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- Author Events, Books
The Trans Handy Ma’am herself joins us for a meet-and-greet signing event at our Lake Forest Park store to celebrate her new book, Safe and Sound: A Renter-Friendly Guide to Home Repair! Mercury Stardust is an author, educator, speaker, LGBTQIA+ advocate, and compassionate DIY expert.
Co-sponsored by the NE Seattle Tool Library, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing sustainable access to over 8,000 tools to renters and homeowners in the Northeast Seattle area.
What you need to know:
- This signing will take place in our Den from 11am to 1:30pm. Customers can stop by and join the signing line at any time.
- No purchase required to join the signing!
- For important updates, registration is highly recommended in advance. RSVP is not required to join the signing line.
- Copies of Safe and Sound: A Renter-Friendly Guide to Home Repair will be available for purchase at the store.
About Safe and Sound. . .
Don’t panic—Mercury Stardust, AKA The Trans Handy Ma’am is here to help!
For too many people, the simple act of contacting a plumber or repair person can feel like a game of chance. As a transwoman and a professional maintenance technician, Mercury Stardust has discovered (the hard way) that we live in a world with much to fear. If you’ve ever felt panicked about opening your home to strangers in order to fix a maintenance issue, this book is for you.
Renting a home can be a complex process—from finding a safe and affordable space, to hiring help for moving in and out, and of course, managing any repairs that come up during your stay.
You deserve to feel empowered to take matters into your own hands—and it’s not as hard as you might think. In this book, Mercury will show you how to tackle the projects that need improvement in your home—from how to properly fix a clog in your bathroom sink and safely hang things on your walls to patching small and medium drywall holes.
Safe and Sound includes:
- Guidance for over 50 simple home maintenance projects, such as replacing your showerhead and troubleshooting a faulty garbage disposal.
- Chapters covering basic and handy repairs for your plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and safety needs.
- Advice tailored to renters to minimize permanent changes.
- Helpful illustrations and QR code links to videos to help you on your journey.
Mercury Stardust (@mercurystardust), the Trans Handy Ma’am, is a professional home maintenance technician, performer, and award-winning activist. Mercury credits her TikTok success to her experience teaching burlesque, where she learned to communicate and create a safe space for students who had frequently experienced trauma. She’s been featured in stories by NBC, NPR, Buzzfeed, Newsweek, Washington Post, and Pink News. Her leadership within the trans community has led to collaborations with such brands as iFixit, Lowe’s, and the trans-healthcare company Point of Pride. Mercury lives in her home state of Wisconsin with her partner and two cats. She’s a world-renowned and internationally award-winning burlesque entertainer and ran Wisconsin’s only weekly burlesque show, Five Star Tease, for 5 years. Her work on and off the stage earned her Madison’s Trans Activist of the Year in 2021 from Madison’s Outreach, and she raised $2.3 million for trans healthcare in 2023 with Point of Pride.
About Third Place Books
Founded in 1998 in Lake Forest Park, Washington, Third Place Books is dedicated to the creation of a community around books and the ideas inside them. With locations in Lake Forest Park and Seattle’s Ravenna and Seward Park neighborhoods, Third Place Books is proud to serve the entire Seattle metro area. Learn more about their event series at thirdplacebooks.com/events.